Tuesday, August 4, 2009

91/20 - Rainy afternoon

Rainy Tuesday afternoon + bored and cranky toddler = Let's make cookies!
I have great memories of pulling a chair up to the counter and "helping" my mom bake cookies, cakes, pies, etc. It was very cool to do this for the first time with my own daughter. "Helping" me MAKE cookies.
Are they ready yet Mom?
"Helping me EAT cookies.
Boy are we good bakers...those were yummy! We had a lot of fun and it really kept McKenzie engaged for a long time.



I really do have great memories of helping mom but this one will always stand out for me. It's not my "best"memory of helping mom bake cookies but it is my most vivid. I had a chair pulled up to help mom out. The phone rang and at that time we had only one phone and there was no such thing as cordless. She asked me to go and see who it was so I got down and ran into the living room to answer it. While I was doing all this my brother, Ryan, was playing on the floor in the kitchen. The phone was for my mom and so I yelled for her. She came into the living room to talk to whomever it was. All of a sudden we heard this scream and howl from the kitchen. We ran in and as we rounded the corner, saw Ryan up on the chair with a sharp knife sticking out of his palm, his arm straight out from his body. We didn't even know he could climb let alone get up there, balance, grab a knife and try to figure out what it did. It still gets the hair on the back of my neck standing up when I think of him there with that knife in his hand. He was fine, no lasting damage but it has taught me to be ever vigilant with McKenzie and make sure there is nothing she can climb or nothing dangerous around if she can. Thanks Ryan for taking one in the hand for the safety of your niece. :)


Bonus Video of McKenzie doing her thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a good way to keep her occupied!! It's so hard to believe she's that big! I forgot all about your memory!! I guess the rain means no fence work done eh? MOM

Anonymous said...

i don't remember that story but it sounds funny. Happy Birthday Lisa. Ryan & Bobbie.

Lisa said...

To Mom - no fence work. Finishing McKenzie's room and some work in the basement. To Ryan and Bobbie, thanks. It was scary at the time but so typical of Ryan's need to discover everything all by himself. He was so determined to do things his way and McKenzie reminds me a lot of him in that regard.